When do we collect information about you?
We collect the information you give us when you:
- Register for our e-mail ( “Artefacts” ) list;
- Join Pioneers of ART;
- Make a donation; or
- Place an order at our shop.
We also collect information from you if you:
- Contact us by email, telephone or post;
- Volunteer to help ART;
- Give us any personal information when we meet face-to-face (for example at an event).
We may also collect information about you, from public sources, if:
- We become aware that you have an interest in Arthur Ransome’s life and works, for example through information you volunteer on the internet or in a newspaper interview.
Why do we collect information about you?
The EU General Data Protection Regulations and associated UK Data Protection law set out seven legitimate reasons, or “justifications”, for collecting and processing your personal information. These include:
- Your consent. This has to be explicit and given in advance. Your consent is always required unless one of the other justifications applies;
- Processing is necessary for the performance of an agreement. This applies to contractual situations, such as purchases from our shop;
- Processing is required under a legal obligation. An example is our statutory duty to maintain accurate accounting records;
- Processing is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests. We need to pursue our charitable objects as efficiently as possible. Maintaining records of your enquiries to us and our replies to you helps with this. So does building up our understanding of people’s interest in Arthur Ransome from public sources. There is a caveat here, because our legitimate interest in your information must not unjustifiably prejudice your personal interests.
Specifically, we rely on:
- Your explicit consent for our Artefacts and PART (Pioneers of ART) mailing lists;
- Performance of an agreement to fulfil your shop orders;
- Legal obligation in respect to any financial transactions, including PART subscriptions, donations and shop orders;
- Our legitimate interests for information gathered from your enquiries to us, from your volunteering to help ART and from miscellaneous conversations or public sources.
What information do we collect?
The information we collect may include:
- Your title;
- Your name(s);
- Your contact details (these may include your postal address, telephone number, email address and/or a social media contact address);
- Information about your donation(s) and/or subscriptions to ART (including the dates and values of your donations/subscriptions and associated Gift Aid or other instructions);
- Information about your purchases from our shop (including the dates and values of your purchases and the items purchased);
- Your bank account title, account number and sort code (but only where you provide these whilst setting up a Standing Order instruction in favour of ART);
- Other miscellaneous information you choose to give us (for example in an email enquiry or when joining ART);
- Miscellaneous information from public sources.
We (ART) do not collect, process or store your personal credit or debit card information.
Our website cookies are explained in detail in our Cookie Notice.
You have a number of rights in respect to your information, including to:
- Request a copy of the information we hold; to
- Have any inaccuracies in your information corrected; to
- Obtain and reuse your information for your own purposes; to
- Seek erasure of your information (known as the “right to be forgotten”); and to
- Prevent us using your information for marketing.
Please contact us, using this form, if you want to exercise any of your rights.
Please visit our Cookie Statement for more information about cookies, about the cookies we use, and about your rights and options in respect to them.
Changes to this Policy
This policy was updated with effect from 9 July, 2018.
We may update it from time-to-time. This may be because of a regular review, because we become aware of ways in which it can be clarified or improved, or in order to comply with changes in legislation.
How to contact us
- Email: email@example.com
- Or by writing to: Arthur Ransome Trust, 7 The Bungalows, Esh Winning, Durham, DH7 9PD.