Copyright and Trademark Notice
The Arthur Ransome Trust (ART) is an educational charitable trust. We are registered with the Charities Commission for England & Wales. Our registration number is 1136565.This is our website copyright notice. It explains who owns the intellectual property on this website and how you may or may not use it.
Ownership of copyright
We and/or our licensors own this website and all the material on it. In this context “material” means all of the website’s text, computer code, artwork, photographs, images, music, audio, video and/or audio-visual elements.
Unless other wise identified, all quotations are © The Arthur Ransome Literary Estate. They are used with the Estate’s permission and those of the Estate’s own licensees, where applicable. In particular, quotes from the published texts of Arthur Ransome’s twelve Swallows and Amazons series novels are published with permission from Penguin Random House UK Ltd.
Unless otherwise identified all:
- Original black and white line drawings are © The Arthur Ransome Literary Estate. They are used with the Estate’s permission and those of the Estate’s own licensees, where applicable. In particular, drawings used in Arthur Ransome’s twelve Swallows and Amazons series novels are reproduced with permission from Penguin Random House UK Ltd;
- Modified versions of the above drawings, including coloured and cropped versions, are © Arthur Ransome Trust. They are created and used with the Arthur Ransome Literary Estate’s and Penguin Random House UK Ltd’s permission;
- Black and white photographs are © The Arthur Ransome Literary Estate;
- Colour photographs are © Arthur Ransome Trust or our licensors;
- Computer-generated colour images, including the Arthur Ransome Trust’s logo (a brown-sailed dinghy sailing towards a wooded island) are © Arthur Ransome Trust. They are based upon original artwork licensed to us by, and © of, the Arthur Ransome Literary Estate.
The following colour photographs are © Tony Richards and used by permission:
- Peel Island, Coniston, Image ref “08110113 brown_howe”, annotated on our website with the quote, “Wild Cat Island in sight!”;
- Snow in Coniston, image ref “09122004 coniston”, annotated on our website with the quote, “Softly at first…”;
- Trees beside Coniston Water, image ref “091221204 monk_coniston”, annotated on our website with the quote “We went down to their boathouse…”;
- Monk Coniston jetty, image ref “09121204 monk_coniston”, annotated on our website with the quote “I had to dip my hand…”;
- Sunset over Coniston Water, image ref “07122118 monk_coniston”, annotated on our website with the words “…Arthur Ransome’s fascinating life and works”.
“Swallows and Amazons” is a registered trademark of the Arthur Ransome Literary Estate (No. 2219604). We use it on our website with permission and all rights reserved.
How you may use this website
- View it, and the material on it, on a computer or mobile device via a web browser;
- Copy and store it in your web browser cache memory;
- Print pages from it for your own personal non-commercial use.
How you may not use this website
Unless permitted by law you may not copy, adapt, distribute or republish content from this website, for any other commercial or non-commercial purpose without our prior written permission.
You can find the relevant UK law at Chapter 3 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988.
You can request permission to use our copyright materials by writing to our email or postal addresses below.
We reserve the right to refuse permission or to charge for its use.
We will let you know when the material you wish to use belongs to one of our licensors. In these circumstances we will endeavour to put you in touch with the appropriate person or organisation.
Enforcement of copyright
We depend on our licensors’ support and permission to use their intellectual property. Without their ongoing goodwill we would not be able to fulfil our charitable aims effectively. We therefore take protection of both their and our copyright seriously and ask you to do the same when you visit our site.
We reserve the right to take legal action, should we discover that you have used our intellectual property without permission.
Changes to this Policy
This policy was updated with effect from 9 July, 2018.
We may update it from time-to-time. This may be because of a regular review, because we become aware of ways in which it can be clarified or improved, or in order to comply with changes in legislation.
How to contact us
Please do get in touch if you have any questions about our copyright notice. You can do so by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or by writing to: Arthur Ransome Trust, 7 The Bungalows, Esh Winning, Durham, DH7 9PD.
Other useful contacts
The Arthur Ransome Literary Estate:
Penguin Random House UK Ltd (for Swallows and Amazons series permissions requests in the UK, EU and Rest of the World, excluding the USA and its dependent territories):
David R Godine (for Swallows and Amazons series permissions requests in the USA and its dependent territories):
Special Collections, Leeds University Library (Special Collections look after most of Arthur Ransome’s personal papers and photographs):
- Website: http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/