Put Ransome on the Map
You can help ART by sponsoring your own piece of our Ransome jigsaw map. Whether it is the Gulch itself (piece M04, if you’re looking), another classic Swallows and Amazons location, such as Holly Howe, Cormorant Island or the North Pole (K23, H17 and CC18), or a piece of as-yet unexplored lake, forest or moor – there is plenty of choice, whether you’re an explorer, sailor, astronomer, mountaineer or gold prospector.
There are 900 pieces in total. Each has a sponsorship value from £15 to £1,000. Sponsoring the entire map will raise over £40,000.
Your jigsaw piece may seem only a small step towards an Arthur Ransome Centre. But it will make a difference. It demonstrates your support, and it will help ART respond when a potential Ransome Home appears. Or, if you prefer, you can ask us to use it for one of our other projects, or however will best help ART succeed. Whichever, we intend to display a copy of the map at the future Ransome Centre, as a permanent “thank you” to you all for having grabbed the chance to “stake your claim”, thereby becoming pioneers who helped create A Ransome Home and fulfil ART’s other projects.
“Not there,” said Nancy.”Much too near. We’ve claimed the whole gulch…”
How to sponsor the Ransome map:
You can make a single donation to the Trust using one of these methods:
If you are a UK taxpayer you can opt to Gift Aid your donation. Doing so lets the Trust reclaim 25p of any Income Tax you have paid for every £1.00 you donate.
Using the map:
Rollover the jigsaw pieces to reveal their numbers, names, values and availability.
Tick and clear the sponsorship value boxes in any combination to reveal pieces in different price ranges.
To view the map you need to have Adobe Flash Reader enabled and your browser set to allow flash images.
- When you reach the Charity Choice site, click on “donate without registering” to proceed to ART’s dedicated donation page.
- Please enter the reference number and title of your piece(s) in the Comments box on the Charity Choice ART donation page.
- You can opt to send online donations anonymously if you wish. However, you cannot Gift Aid an anonymous donation.
- Please also note that there will be a delay between your making an online donation and your gift reaching the Trust. This is partly because Charity Choice reclaim Gift Aid (if appropriate) on the Trust’s behalf, which they then forward to us with the donation itself. It may, therefore, take us rather longer to acknowledge and thank you for online donations than those received by post.
- To qualify for Gift Aid you must have paid or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts for that tax year. Other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify towards this total.
- If you pay income tax at the higher rate, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self Assessment tax return if you want to receive the additional tax relief due to you.
- Please do not forget to let us know if you: Want to cancel your Gift Aid declaration, change your name or home address, or no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains.
The map is updated regularly but not instantly. It is possible, therefore, that your preferred piece may have been sponsored very recently by someone else. You can nominate (an) alternate piece(s) if you wish when making your donation. If you don’t we will allocate the nearest available piece with a similar description and identical value.
Questions and answers:
- Can I sponsor more than one piece?
Yes! As many as you like, in any combination to match your donation.
- Can I define what my gift will be used for?
Yes. Our long term goal is to build up the funds the Trust needs for A Ransome Home. But ART also needs to fund its other initiatives. So we value gifts whether you choose to reserve them to one or more of our projects, or make an unrestricted donation.
- Can I donate without sponsoring the map?
Yes. Please see our Single Gifts, Regular Donations, Large Gifts and Legacies pages for details.
- Can I sponsor a piece anonymously?
Yes. If you tell us we won’t put your name on the online map or the future Ransome Centre version.
- Can I gift-sponsor a piece for someone else?
Please do! Several people already have. Please let us know who and we’ll do all we can to accommodate that, showing their name on the map and certificate.
- Can I sponsor pieces through regular donations?
Yes. It is easiest if your regular donation matches a specific piece each time. But we can also allocate appropriate piece(s) retrospectively, once the value of your standing orders has reached their value(s). Do contact us if you would like to discuss this further.
- What are the “Virtual Trunks”?
If you’ve read Swallows and Amazons, you’ll recall the theft of, and search for, Captain Flint’s Trunk. Our Ransome map has 12 virtual trunks, each containing a hardback copy of one of the 12 Swallows and Amazons novels. Piece D13 is an example. If you sponsor one of the 12 randomly-selected map pieces, we will give you the book as part of our “thank you” for your pioneering support.
“Go to bed everybody,” cried Nancy suddenly. “Now. At once. We’ve got to get our claim staked the moment it is light enough to see.”