1924 to 1928 Divorce and Marriage
Divorce and marriage: Arthur Ransome’s timeline, part 4
(Jan 21: Lenin died).
- Jan 27: Attends Lenin’s funeral.
(Feb 2: Britain formally recognises the Soviet Union).
- Feb 19: Played cricket on the frozen Baltic, after his ship was caught in ice trying to sail to Britain.
- Met lawyers in London regarding his divorce from Ivy.
- Apr 9: Arthur and Ivy’s divorce finalised.
- Apr 14: Returned to Riga.
- May 8: Married Evgenia at the British Consulate, in Reval.
- Nov 14: Laid up Racundra and left Riga for England.
- Dec 10: Ransome sets off for Egypt, reporting for the Manchester Guardian.
- Feb: Returns from Egypt and begins house-hunting in the Lake District.
- May 28: Move into Low Ludderburn, Cartmel Fell, the first property Ransome bought.
- Aug 7: Ransome’s first Rod and Line fishing essay published in the Guardian.
- Dec: Leaves for Russia, reporting for the Manchester Guardian.
- Feb: Returns from Russia.
- Dec: Leaves for China, reporting for the Manchester Guardian.
- Apr: Returns from China via the Trans-Siberian Railway.
- Nov 1: The Chinese Puzzle published.
- Feb: Reporting in Russia.
- Mar: Returns from Russia.
- Apr 21: The Altounyan family, Ernest and Dora (nee Collingwood) and their children arrive at Bank Ground Farm, Coniston, from Aleppo, Syria for an extended sabbatical.
- May 6: Ernest and Arthur collaborate to purchase two dinghies, Swallow and Mavis.